Deadline: International students are automatically considered for this award. No application is required.
Annual Value: Up to $3,200 per year
Degree Level: Masters and Doctoral
International Tuition Awards assist international graduate students with their tuition fees if they are registered full-time in research-oriented master’s and doctoral programs at the UBC – Vancouver campus.
Students are eligible for the International Tuition Award if they meet the following criteria:
- Students must be assessed international tuition fees. Students can review their tuition assessments by logging into the Student Service Centre.
- Students must be registered full-time in one of the eligible graduate programs. For program eligibility and award amount, check your graduate program listing under Graduate Degree Programs (see Tuition / Program Costs box)
- Students who receive external funding (e.g., their home government, Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship, or other funding agencies like CIDA, WUSC, DAAD, CONACYT, CONICYT, NSF, etc.) for their tuition which is equal to or higher than the value of the International Tuition Award are not eligible. Students who receive external funding toward their tuition which is lower than the value of the International Tuition Award will have their International Tuition Award reduced by the amount of the external tuition funding.
Exception: As of September 2022, Indigenous students receiving Band funding are eligible to receive the International Tuition Award.
Students who receive the staff tuition waiver are not eligible to receive the International Tuition Award
- The University reserves the right to change the value of this scholarship without notice.
- New students must register for courses in the upcoming term in order for the system to permit the award to be assigned to their SSC account
- Students do not need to apply, as all international students who are eligible are automatically considered for this scholarship. Awards are assigned on the Student Information System, and, once assigned, can be viewed by logging onto the Student Service Centre (SSC).
- Students must verify that they meet the eligibility requirements by accepting the scholarship online, via the Student Service Centre.
- The scholarship is paid in 3 equal installments – one at the beginning of each term. September and January’s installments are assigned in late August each year. May installment is assigned in late April each year.
- Students who become Landed Immigrants or Permanent Residents while enrolled at UBC are required to provide a copy of their Record of Landing to the Registrar’s Office. If an international student becomes a Landed Immigrant on or before the tuition fee due date of the term, domestic fees will be assessed for that term. If an international student becomes a Landed Immigrant after the first tuition fee due date, domestic fees will be assessed for the following term. Landed Immigrant status is attained as of the “Landed on” date (box 45) indicated on the Record of Landing, not the Date Issued.
- Students are no longer eligible to receive the International Tuition Award once they are assessed domestic tuition fees. As a result, their International Tuition Award will be pro-rated to the end of the last term for which they were assessed international tuition fees.
- Students who have not been assigned the International Tuition Award by the start of the term and believe themselves to be eligible should contact the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (all emails should include your student number)